Playing Softball with 4 Eyes
I've been putting off buying a new box of contacts because of my plans to get lasik done this year. And it finally bit me in the ass. My eyes have been so itchy from allergies that my contacts have gotten all deformed. I had no other option but to finally toss them.
So, today I wore my glasses....and I had a softball game....and I play catcher. I tried to get out of wearing the mask, since it stinks anyway. But the ump was adamant about me wearing it since he signed a contract that says he's liable for any injuries related to that.
I felt like Froggy from the Little Rascals. I would put the mask on and my glasses would get all crooked. The catcher on the other team kept on adjusting the mask to fit his bigger head so my mask was all over the place. I kept on missing the pitches and it would hit me in the shin and other places.
But at one point, I was 3rd base coach and my own teammate hit a foul ball straight at me. My tinikling reflexes allowed me to jump over it at the last minute to avoid a contusion on my leg.
And when I was up to bat...oh brother...even worse. I haven't gone to the batting cages all season so I hadn't made it to base yet. We were playing the number 3 team, so we knew that we were going to get slaughtered. Surprisingly we led by a couple runs up until the 5th inning.
Then they rallied and scored 5 runs. We couldn't catch up. By the time we got to the bottom of the 7th (our last inning), we were down by 5.
The first guy up to bat on my team struck out. Then it was me. I thought for sure the game was over. Who would have known that yours truly would start the 7th inning rally? I hit a line drive past the 3rd baseman and made it onto 1st. The next guy advanced me to 2nd.
Then the next guy hit a pop fly. I thought for sure that would be an out but they dropped it. I bolted for 3rd thinking I was going to get out since I waited to see if they would catch the fly. They threw it to 3rd and it hit me right in the back of my calf. I couldn't even tell if it hurt....but I bet I will tomorrow. I just took off for home plate. That was the first run of the inning. We just needed 5 more to win the game.
Guess what? We did it! What a rush!!!! And it all happened while I was wearing glasses AND my Wookie jersey! That one was for the Wookies!
So, today I wore my glasses....and I had a softball game....and I play catcher. I tried to get out of wearing the mask, since it stinks anyway. But the ump was adamant about me wearing it since he signed a contract that says he's liable for any injuries related to that.
I felt like Froggy from the Little Rascals. I would put the mask on and my glasses would get all crooked. The catcher on the other team kept on adjusting the mask to fit his bigger head so my mask was all over the place. I kept on missing the pitches and it would hit me in the shin and other places.
But at one point, I was 3rd base coach and my own teammate hit a foul ball straight at me. My tinikling reflexes allowed me to jump over it at the last minute to avoid a contusion on my leg.
And when I was up to bat...oh brother...even worse. I haven't gone to the batting cages all season so I hadn't made it to base yet. We were playing the number 3 team, so we knew that we were going to get slaughtered. Surprisingly we led by a couple runs up until the 5th inning.
Then they rallied and scored 5 runs. We couldn't catch up. By the time we got to the bottom of the 7th (our last inning), we were down by 5.
The first guy up to bat on my team struck out. Then it was me. I thought for sure the game was over. Who would have known that yours truly would start the 7th inning rally? I hit a line drive past the 3rd baseman and made it onto 1st. The next guy advanced me to 2nd.
Then the next guy hit a pop fly. I thought for sure that would be an out but they dropped it. I bolted for 3rd thinking I was going to get out since I waited to see if they would catch the fly. They threw it to 3rd and it hit me right in the back of my calf. I couldn't even tell if it hurt....but I bet I will tomorrow. I just took off for home plate. That was the first run of the inning. We just needed 5 more to win the game.
Guess what? We did it! What a rush!!!! And it all happened while I was wearing glasses AND my Wookie jersey! That one was for the Wookies!

5 Comments:
Maybe I need to come and watch your games, they are becoming more exciting than damoomoo's!
How come it seems like you always get hurt while playin' base/soft ball? Hmm.... I remember that you had a sprained ankle when we played down here! Dang, Mur! You saved the team! See you tomorrow!
woohoo! i didn't understand half of what you said (all that softball-speak), but congrats anyway!
LG
maybe your glasses are lucky! you should wear them all the time :)
My - I actually pulled a tendon in my leg...I wish it was just a sprained ankle.
Post a Comment
<< Home