Friday, June 24, 2005

Doggy Co-Op

I'm part of a dog co-op in the East Bay. We basically take care of each other's dogs when the other goes on vacation. I really only do this with one person.

The first time she took care of Kobi was when he was 8 months old. When we left for the Bahamas, he was a puppy. When we got back, he had pubes! I was soooo sad missing that moment! Not really, but it was funny that it sprouted in a short 5 days. I digress.

The last time I took care of her dog was Labor Day last year. A bunch of us went to Lake Del Valle and went hiking with our doggies. Jake was such a hyper dog. He was driving me crazy. He kept barking and nipping at Kobi whenever he got near me. I ended up having to sleep with Jake in my room and Bryan slept with Kobi in another. During the hike, he got away from me and ended up eating the BBQ at one picnic spot. They were DAMN pissed! And there was nothing I could do about it...except put him on a leash.

I told myself that was the last time I would watch him. We were even steven at that point. In November, she called to ask if I could babysit Jake. I told her I couldn't since Bryan had just moved out and I wasn't in any emotional state to take care of a hyper dog. Of course I left that last part out.

But then this NY trip came around. I asked Bryan to babysit but he moved to an apartment that doesn't allow pets. So, it was either pay for a dog sitter at $40 a day or swallow my pride and ask Julie to come over. Swallow I did. Hmm....that sounded nasty.

Anyway, she ended up staying at my place, which was better for me. That way Kobi didn't get stressed out being at an unfamiliar place. I told her that his dog walker comes every day and if she wanted Jake to go too that she could work it out with him.

Day 1: Kobi runs to the door to greet Dog Daddy (the walker). Jake follows suit and nips at Dog Daddy breaking skin. He takes him anyway.

Day 3: Jake is at Pt. Isabel and nips an East Bay Regional Park Employee on the leg. Good thing he's wearing thick pants. He was pissed but brushed it off. Dog Daddy refused to take Jake out again because of liability issues.

Before all this happened, I agreed to return the favor. I promised to watch him on the 4th of July weekend. DAMN!

2 Comments:

At 6/24/2005 11:39:00 PM, Blogger DJ John said...

I'm looking forward to having a dog around the house. Andres wants 2 puppies, one for him and one for Mio. I guess we know the answer to "spits or swallows". =)

 
At 6/25/2005 12:00:00 PM, Blogger Mur said...

Puppies are great. But word of warnng, it's a lot of hard work. I lost a lot of sleep in the beginning. You have to let them outside every few hours when they're young. And you've seen my house before the remodeling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home