I Don't Care What People Think
In my 30s, I've lived my life the way I want to live it. I live by the mantra, "I don't care what people think. If they love me, they'll understand. If they don't, I could care less."
But having a blog makes me feel otherwise. I say I write for myself, yet I check my blog often to see what comments I've received. After writing a good post, I'll think....that one will stir up some comments. And if I don't get any, I'm disappointed.
Conversely, I'll write something for the hell of it, thinking it won't generate any interest. Then I'll get tons of comments and be very pleasantly surprised!
Blogging is a funny thing.
But having a blog makes me feel otherwise. I say I write for myself, yet I check my blog often to see what comments I've received. After writing a good post, I'll think....that one will stir up some comments. And if I don't get any, I'm disappointed.
Conversely, I'll write something for the hell of it, thinking it won't generate any interest. Then I'll get tons of comments and be very pleasantly surprised!
Blogging is a funny thing.

5 Comments:
Mur, I think I have been blogging since 1997 or so. It wasn't called blogging then, but man, I have had some psychos on my blog before!
I like leaving comments to let someone know I read, even if I had nothing insightful to comment.
the blogging thing can certainly feed into my need for constant external validation, which is why i remind myself often not to take the absence of comments as a sign of rejection. i totally understand what you're saying. then there's the openness of it all - on the one hand, i want to share my thoughts, and on the other, i know i can't say everything i want to say on a blog that i know my friends read (that's what the "secret" blog is for right?) also, there's the obsession thing. i have to keep that in check as it's easy for me to get obsessed... it's all part of the lovely chemical imbalance i have... although tom cruise would disagree ("there's no such thing as a chemical imbalance" - from DR. Cruise himself)
thanks mur for often commenting on my blogs. i like knowing someone visited. i read yours daily too! i'll make sure i say hi each time! :-)
LG
i read your blog everyday. you travel so much i want to see where "we" are going today. i'm just waiting for the day when someone calls me on something i post as well.
That's why your called Drama Queen!
i think the number of comments is inversely proportional to the length of the post, at least for me.
i see posts and comments as a conversation. i don't often have a chance to talk to people personally, so blogging is my way of talking to people and hopefully getting a response.
Post a Comment
<< Home