Back to the Gym
Tonight's performance would be the first time back at the Gymnasium since Sunday. So, that meant another 9 am practice!
After practice, we had to get dressed in costumes. We headed over to City Hall. While all the Directors from the different dance companies met with the mayor in his office, the rest of us were displayed on the steps of city hall.

This had to be one of my least favorite things. We basically stood, then sat there, for probably an hour. The people were lined up on the streets just staring at us. I felt like we were on display to be gawked at, kinda like zoo animals. It was pretty uncomfortable.
After a while, the Africans kept everyone entertained by singing....which they happened to do a lot. At least the attention was diverted their way.
After that, we had another performance at the Book Fair. The mayor took longer than he was supposed to so it pushed the schedule back a bit. School kids were supposed to be watching us perform, but because of the delay, they had to go back to school. So, we performed for about 20 people (mostly the festival organizers) and a bunch of books. This afternoon definitely felt like a waste of our time!!!
By this time, I think the fun and excitement of the trip started to take a definite turn. I, myself, was ready to go home at this point. I was definitely missing Kobi and Rich very much!
Tonight was the first of our Muslim suites. We did Pagapir,Tahing Baila, Voyage, and Vinta.
Jen1 was really sick and actually stayed back in the hostel during the day. Kuya Rudi said she wouldn't be performing tonight but Jen got really disappointed. Since it was her solo (Tahing), she begged him to let her, and he did.
Voyage was not on the repertoire until that morning. Because Kuya Ruds didn't want to do Singkil twice, he added this on.
Randy had the day off because he injured his ankle and actually had to go to the hospital. He was watching from the side and said that everything was on...that is until Vinta.
We did Vinta with the tinikling Sticks vs the thick sticks. Even before we left for Brazil, Vince never became comfortable on these sticks. During the performance, he fell 5 times. He was a trooper and kept on going until the end. At least he stayed on during the exit.
As disappointing as it was, I told Vince that I've been to some Cirque Du Soleil performances where they miss, and they continue on until the end.
That night was China's Nation's Night. This was the least fun of all. I think part of it was I didn't feel like I really learned anything about their culture. Also, I thought it was ironic that we all had to go when we were sick and tired, when they never really went to the other groups' nations night.
They ended up showing a video of themselves (all in Chinese), doing a ballroom dance to Beauty & The Beast, and served prewrapped nuts and candy. They also played a hot potato game, where the loser had to either sing or dance. I discreetly removed myself from the game. Joachim ended up losing once and did a very nice rendition of "Girl from Epanema".
For me, the highlight of the night was when George, a member of CIOFF (Counsel of International Folk Dance Festivals), caught my eye. He mouthed to me that there were only 2 groups that did well tonight. S. Africa & LIKHA. That definitely made my night since we were all down on ourselves. At this point in the festival, everyone was rehashing all their routines. We were the only ones breaking out with new routines every night. What a major compliment!
After practice, we had to get dressed in costumes. We headed over to City Hall. While all the Directors from the different dance companies met with the mayor in his office, the rest of us were displayed on the steps of city hall.

This had to be one of my least favorite things. We basically stood, then sat there, for probably an hour. The people were lined up on the streets just staring at us. I felt like we were on display to be gawked at, kinda like zoo animals. It was pretty uncomfortable.
After a while, the Africans kept everyone entertained by singing....which they happened to do a lot. At least the attention was diverted their way.
After that, we had another performance at the Book Fair. The mayor took longer than he was supposed to so it pushed the schedule back a bit. School kids were supposed to be watching us perform, but because of the delay, they had to go back to school. So, we performed for about 20 people (mostly the festival organizers) and a bunch of books. This afternoon definitely felt like a waste of our time!!!
By this time, I think the fun and excitement of the trip started to take a definite turn. I, myself, was ready to go home at this point. I was definitely missing Kobi and Rich very much!
Tonight was the first of our Muslim suites. We did Pagapir,Tahing Baila, Voyage, and Vinta.
Jen1 was really sick and actually stayed back in the hostel during the day. Kuya Rudi said she wouldn't be performing tonight but Jen got really disappointed. Since it was her solo (Tahing), she begged him to let her, and he did.
Voyage was not on the repertoire until that morning. Because Kuya Ruds didn't want to do Singkil twice, he added this on.
Randy had the day off because he injured his ankle and actually had to go to the hospital. He was watching from the side and said that everything was on...that is until Vinta.
We did Vinta with the tinikling Sticks vs the thick sticks. Even before we left for Brazil, Vince never became comfortable on these sticks. During the performance, he fell 5 times. He was a trooper and kept on going until the end. At least he stayed on during the exit.
As disappointing as it was, I told Vince that I've been to some Cirque Du Soleil performances where they miss, and they continue on until the end.
That night was China's Nation's Night. This was the least fun of all. I think part of it was I didn't feel like I really learned anything about their culture. Also, I thought it was ironic that we all had to go when we were sick and tired, when they never really went to the other groups' nations night.
They ended up showing a video of themselves (all in Chinese), doing a ballroom dance to Beauty & The Beast, and served prewrapped nuts and candy. They also played a hot potato game, where the loser had to either sing or dance. I discreetly removed myself from the game. Joachim ended up losing once and did a very nice rendition of "Girl from Epanema".
For me, the highlight of the night was when George, a member of CIOFF (Counsel of International Folk Dance Festivals), caught my eye. He mouthed to me that there were only 2 groups that did well tonight. S. Africa & LIKHA. That definitely made my night since we were all down on ourselves. At this point in the festival, everyone was rehashing all their routines. We were the only ones breaking out with new routines every night. What a major compliment!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home