Sunday, August 14, 2005

The Best of LIKHA

Today was closing ceremonies. Four couples from each of the groups were chosen to participate in the closing and had to go to the gym for rehearsals. I ended up being one of them.

To my surprise (sarcasm), the closing dance would be the Electric Slide to the African's Lion King. Every year, they pick a song from one of the groups and use it during the closing. Since this one was always a crowd pleaser, they chose it for this year.


After rehearsal, we had another small gig at the Book Fair again. This time there was an audience and we did the short Lumad suite. The bus picked us up and we headed straight for the Gym.

We were the first to perform again and this time we did the Best of LIKHA show. Kuya Ruds shortened the choreography to all of our best dances so we could stay within the 15 minute limit. It ended up being around 20 though.

We did Bagobo, Salidsid, Manilena, Asik, Singkil, Bev sang, Pandanggo, and Tinikling. Backstage, Bev & I were saying that the show was just oks lang. I think it was hard because of all the changes in the choreography, the music having to change really quick between suites, and all the quick changes.

Speaking of quick changes, the Easter Peeps just didn't know how to wait downstairs until their turn. One girl was already putting her costumes down before we even started our show. I told her to wait since we needed all the space and have a lot of quick changes....she just rolled her eyes and turned her back to me. Ooohh....that made me so mad. Others came up too but they were at least a little bit more gracious.

So, going back to the show. Although we felt it was just an average show, when we walked out for our final bow, we brought the house down! I have never been part of such an enthusiastic standing ovation! The gym holds 1800 people and it was almost filled to capacity. They just jumped to their feet all at once! What an amazing feeling!

We watched all the other groups and they got standing o's as well, but the enthusiasm was not 100% there, except for a couple others. Most of the time, there was a couple of people leading the ovation and the others followed suit.

In the end, we did our Electric Slide and then started doing our own thing. While I was off mingling with the other companies, the other 7 Pilipinos started a Lapay line! It was cool to see all the other countries following behind!

Then the hugs and tears started. I was ready to go home days ago and I never thought I would get emotional. But, as we reached out to friends and acquaintances made during the 2 weeks, the tears started rolling down the cheeks. I saw so many men crying as well. The feeling of solidarity and friendship was just so overwhelming. It's a feeling that I will never forget in my lifetime.

When we got back to the hostel, we just continued packing. There were no more Nation's Nights and it seemed somewhat anticlimactic to such a busy 2 weeks. I kept on saying that I felt like I was missing something but I was too lazy to find out what it was.

Then Gen comes upstairs and says they are partying with the Liths downstairs. So, Tin & I headed down there.



It really wasn't our scene, so we headed back upstairs but wandered into the other wing, where the Chinese, Liths, and Thai groups were staying. As we walk by the Thai room, a PEEP comes out wearing one of their costumes. We wanted to join in on the fun! So, Tin, got her hair done like the Thai girls.




The same PEEP that we saw wearing the Thai outfit, wanted to try on a Maria Clara dress. So, I put her in the Jovencita dress. The ironic thing was, she was one of the girls that I was having a hard time with during the week. She wanted to go and show her parents and when she called her dad over, to my surprise, it was my friend.

Well, she returned the favor and dressed Kirsi, Jen1, and myself in the Peep outfit. I know I definitely don't have the body for it, but it was fun all the same. While I was out in the hall, I accidentally got my watch caught in my top and gave a couple Africans a free show....Dammit! As we were running through the halls, we ran into Genee who was in a Lith costume.



Afterwards, more Peeps wanted to try on the Spanish costumes and Allan (the young Peep) wanted to dress up as well.



The fun was interrupted when people that partied a little too hard had to get helped into the room. Not to mention someone threatening the Africans with a slipper when it got a little noisy.

What a shame, that after 2 weeks of being together, we were finally getting along. It all happened on the last night. We were saying how strange it was that the PEEPS got nice all of a sudden within the last couple of days.

All other companies had little gifts that they were giving away. We came away with a lot of little gifts like hair clips, bags, bookmarks, feathers, earrings, and key chains. We felt guilty because we didn't have a thing to give.

It was a fun last night together...and a great way to get to know the other companies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home