Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Hurricane Katrina

I had the news on the radio this morning, as I drove to work. As I was enjoying the sun and the beautiful weather, the topic switched over to the devastation of Katrina. At that very moment, I realized how thankful I was to have my home, my family, and my health.

Now, I'm at home, crying as I watch the news. The stories of families losing loved ones is heart wrenching. Last night, as I watched looters, I was somewhat disgusted. But now, I try to put myself in their shoes. There is no water, no food, no medicine. My survival instinct might kick in and I would probably do the same.

There is talk that people will not be able to return to the damaged areas for months. What do people do to survive? Most people lost everything they owned in the storms. How do they rebuild when most of their jobs are also gone?

A huge part of me wants to go there and help. But I'm not really sure what to do. So, I do what I know best. Donate. Let's pull together for our brothers and sisters in the South and give what we can.

3 Comments:

At 8/31/2005 11:30:00 AM, Blogger bev said...

gary's sis lives in Mississippi, and just saw through her blog that her husband's parents' house is gone... :( i think that whole little area is gone.

 
At 8/31/2005 03:50:00 PM, Blogger DJ John said...

I really want to help too, but with gas prices so high as well as everything else it's really hard, but we'll give what we can.

 
At 9/01/2005 04:17:00 PM, Blogger laragitara said...

it's unfathomable, what's happened and what's happening.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home