Opening Night
Tonight was opening night. Because I'm not in Barrio, I asked if could hold the sign that said 'Filipinas'. Ceska wasn't dancing either, so she held the Philippine flag.

It was just like the Olympics where all the different countries marched in to the theme song. They have two huge screens by the stage and the event was televised.
There was a lot of pressure to perform since we were performing with peers from all over the world. We were the 2nd group after Brazil and did the Barrio suite: Pandango, Itik-Itik, Maglalatik, Binasuan, and Tinikling.

The audience was amazing. There were so many whistles, screams, and applause that everyone fed off of it. It was such a natural high.
My 2 favorite groups are South Africa and Easter Island.


I made friends with someone from Easter Island, since they speak spanish. He basically educated me about the country and the culture.

Not to worry though, babe.
They actually live in Chile because of the poor economy in the Islands. Babe....they're your peeps. Their dances are similar to the Maoris of New Zeland.
Aftica, on the other hand, have such haunting songs and chants. In fact, they played the Lion King theme on all their drums and instruments....a major crowd pleaser!
After the show, we had our first Nations Night hosted by Brazil. They served a fried rice with beef. They also did a little play and some national dances. Bev, Genie, and I snuck out early though to take showers while the rest of the peeps were still partying. Gotta go. My 10 minutes is up. I'll catch up later.

It was just like the Olympics where all the different countries marched in to the theme song. They have two huge screens by the stage and the event was televised.
There was a lot of pressure to perform since we were performing with peers from all over the world. We were the 2nd group after Brazil and did the Barrio suite: Pandango, Itik-Itik, Maglalatik, Binasuan, and Tinikling.

The audience was amazing. There were so many whistles, screams, and applause that everyone fed off of it. It was such a natural high.
My 2 favorite groups are South Africa and Easter Island.


I made friends with someone from Easter Island, since they speak spanish. He basically educated me about the country and the culture.

Not to worry though, babe.
They actually live in Chile because of the poor economy in the Islands. Babe....they're your peeps. Their dances are similar to the Maoris of New Zeland.
Aftica, on the other hand, have such haunting songs and chants. In fact, they played the Lion King theme on all their drums and instruments....a major crowd pleaser!
After the show, we had our first Nations Night hosted by Brazil. They served a fried rice with beef. They also did a little play and some national dances. Bev, Genie, and I snuck out early though to take showers while the rest of the peeps were still partying. Gotta go. My 10 minutes is up. I'll catch up later.

3 Comments:
Great post girl, sounds like you guys are off to an amazing start.
babe I haven't heard from you..are you ok?....try to call me or email me today 8/8/05.
wow, sounds like you guys are having an interesting trip! cant wait to hear stories and see pictures!
Post a Comment
<< Home