The Alamo
Last night, I checked Rich’s itinerary to see what time I had to take him to the airport. His flight was at 2, which meant we had to leave the hotel by 11.
I was kind of bummed because the morning session of my meeting, was one of my favorite speakers. I know it sounds geeky but he was discussing the Top 10 Global Risks in the Worldwide Economy. I met him a couple years ago during the same conference in Huntington Beach. His lecture made such a huge impression on me that I made a point of sitting at his table during one of the dinners. I grilled him about fuel prices in the Bay Area and even the Philippines. To my surprise, he gave me the run down on President Arroyo and the impact of the Abu Sayyaf on the Philippine economy. I was quite impressed with this Kansas City professor, to say the least. Fast forward 2 years and I was really happy to see his name in the brochure as a guest speaker.
So, before the class, I let him know that I would be leaving an hour early. I didn’t want to seem rude. During his lecture, he touched on topics like Katrina and how it will actually help the economy, China’s outrageous economic growth in the past few years and the threat that poses to the US, India’s development as an IT hub and outsourcing, Oil Shortages and the need to decrease our dependency, Europe’s decline as an influential market, and other interesting (at least to me) topics. I left at #7.
So, as we’re hopping on the freeway, Rich double checks his flight itinerary. It turns out that last night, I was looking at Saturday’s inbound connecting flight from Dallas to San Antonio. His flight wasn’t scheduled to leave until 345. So, I missed the lecture for nothing.
But all was not lost. We decided to go see The Alamo.


We didn’t have time to watch the 45 minute IMAX movie, so we just roamed the grounds on our own. I had no clue what the historical importance of the Alamo was, except for the well known saying “Remember the Alamo.” I didn’t even see the movie. The whole time I was roaming the grounds, I thought that they defied all odds and defeated the Mexicans. Boy was I wrong! We caught the 15 minute History Channel Film at the end and it filled in all the gaps. Only 230 Texans, including Davy Crockett, defended the Alamo against 6000 Mexican soldiers, only to be defeated after 13 days.
It was good to spend some unexpected time with Rich and to get my fill of history at the same time.

I was so bored that night that all I did was order room service and watch TV. At least, I caught “Prison Break.”
I was kind of bummed because the morning session of my meeting, was one of my favorite speakers. I know it sounds geeky but he was discussing the Top 10 Global Risks in the Worldwide Economy. I met him a couple years ago during the same conference in Huntington Beach. His lecture made such a huge impression on me that I made a point of sitting at his table during one of the dinners. I grilled him about fuel prices in the Bay Area and even the Philippines. To my surprise, he gave me the run down on President Arroyo and the impact of the Abu Sayyaf on the Philippine economy. I was quite impressed with this Kansas City professor, to say the least. Fast forward 2 years and I was really happy to see his name in the brochure as a guest speaker.
So, before the class, I let him know that I would be leaving an hour early. I didn’t want to seem rude. During his lecture, he touched on topics like Katrina and how it will actually help the economy, China’s outrageous economic growth in the past few years and the threat that poses to the US, India’s development as an IT hub and outsourcing, Oil Shortages and the need to decrease our dependency, Europe’s decline as an influential market, and other interesting (at least to me) topics. I left at #7.
So, as we’re hopping on the freeway, Rich double checks his flight itinerary. It turns out that last night, I was looking at Saturday’s inbound connecting flight from Dallas to San Antonio. His flight wasn’t scheduled to leave until 345. So, I missed the lecture for nothing.
But all was not lost. We decided to go see The Alamo.


We didn’t have time to watch the 45 minute IMAX movie, so we just roamed the grounds on our own. I had no clue what the historical importance of the Alamo was, except for the well known saying “Remember the Alamo.” I didn’t even see the movie. The whole time I was roaming the grounds, I thought that they defied all odds and defeated the Mexicans. Boy was I wrong! We caught the 15 minute History Channel Film at the end and it filled in all the gaps. Only 230 Texans, including Davy Crockett, defended the Alamo against 6000 Mexican soldiers, only to be defeated after 13 days.
It was good to spend some unexpected time with Rich and to get my fill of history at the same time.

I was so bored that night that all I did was order room service and watch TV. At least, I caught “Prison Break.”

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home