Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Helping the Victims of Katrina

Like everyone else, I've been caught up in the stories of the Hurricane and have been somewhat of an emotional wreck. Rich doesn't even want me to watch the news because it just depresses me and all I do is cry.

Like many of us, I've donated to the Red Cross. I know that money is what is needed right now but I've also been yearning to do so much more.

When I heard that many of the refugees were being taken to Texas, an opportunity opened up for me to do more. Next week, I'm going to San Antonio for work. I already contacted the concierge desk at my hotel to give me a list of shelters/organizations where I can volunteer my time. A friend of mine from MTV will be joining me also. Yes, it will be depressing and sad. But if I can help lift the spirits of even one person, then I will have done what I came to do.

But it's not only the people that I long to help...it's the animals. There were hundreds of displaced pets as well. I know that some people think that animals are just animals. But having Kobi in my life makes me see it differently. I hear stories of people having to leave their animals because there is no room in the boats. That is completely understandable when the goal is to save as many people's lives as possible.

I would be completely devastated if I had to leave Kobi to fend for himself and to evenutally die. For Kobs is like my baby. He cheers me up when I'm down, he makes my day when he greets me at the door, he's my best friend, and one of the greatest loves of my life. It breaks my heart to even leave him at home when we leave for the day.

Fortunately, the SPCA is doing it's best to help the animals of Katrina. The news featured Peace, Love & Pets, an organization taking donations to help pets. So, if you can, please help here as well.

The drop off locations were not very accessible to me, so I ordered items online and just had it shipped to the warehouse. If you want to do the same, Pet Edge is a great place to order. They sell at wholesale prices. To give you an idea, I bought 30 travel bowls, 30 collars, 2 large bottles of flea spray, and 12 towels for only $120. Please pass the word on to any animal loving friends that you may have.

2 Comments:

At 9/07/2005 08:49:00 AM, Blogger mrs cruz said...

I watched Oprah yesterday and she had a special on Katrina. I cried for the first time watching, as I saw dead bodies and helpless victims.

I cried the most when a man had to leave his dog behind to leave for a shelter. The dog was all he had left. But Oprah's designer Nate, said that he would take the dog and would keep him until the man got to where he was going. It was very touching because a small action like that could do wonders for someone.

I'm glad you'll be able to help out when you get to San Antonio. We all should help in any way we can.

 
At 9/07/2005 09:57:00 AM, Blogger Mur said...

Tina, even your story made me cry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home