Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Movin' On Up

Monday was my first day of school....I mean, working at the Presidio.



Since I was in Texas last week, I only had until 3pm on Thursday to pack it up before we had to shut our computers down. We got kicked off early so IT can start moving our equipment. Lucky for us, they gave us Friday off so the movers could get everything over to the Presidio.

Unfortunately for me, I missed a performance on Saturday. Now that I'm older, I rely heavily on my Outlook Calendar and the pop up reminders. And with the early computer shutdown, I had no clue what I had planned for the weekend. That is, until I get back to back phone calls from OJ and Bev. Sorry again guys!

Monday truly was like the first day at a new college: multiple buildings, hallways that all look alike, lost "students" wandering the halls looking for their offices, getting lost on the way to the dining commons, and excited chatter about our new surroundings.

I unpacked everything by lunch and helped with the common areas the rest of the afternoon. I'm pretty happy with my office. After 2 years of patiently waiting, I finally got a Director office with a couch. Now I have a place to take a power nap if I have to work late. The back "wall" of my office is wall to wall windows. I have a slight view of the roofline but I also have a nice view of a courtyard. No GG Bridge, no Palace of Fine Arts, and no Transamerica building, but I'm grateful for what I have.

There was a gift waiting for us at our desk, inluding a coupon for a free lunch.
The food is awesome. I was so overwhelmed from all the choices, including the drinks. After standing in front of the refrigerated area for awhile, perusing the drink choices, I had to take a double look. Did that say Guarana???? Oh my gosh it was but in a different bottle. The caption below said, "Very High Caffeine Drink". I wasn't sure if it was the same thing but when I took the first swig, I was in heaven!!! But by the middle of lunch, my leg was going 100mph and my hands were shaking. I don't remember it having that effect on me when I was in Brazil. Maybe that's how we were able to keep our energy up when we were sick. I think I'll limit my intake to once a week.

The commute is about the same time except I now hit traffic. I took Richmond/San Rafael AND Golden Gate Bridges. That's a hefty $8/day. I'm trying to get a 3 person carpool going so I can bypass the tolls. Going home, I've been taking the Bay Bridge. Yesterday I made it home in 40 minutes. Not bad, but I left work at 715. Tonight, I tried it again, leaving at 620. This time it took about an hour. I may have to go home the way I came.

I miss the sun of Marin, the small campus feel of Big Rock Ranch, the sprawling hills and animals that roamed outside my window. But I think I'll adjust pretty quickly to my new "home".

9 Comments:

At 9/21/2005 12:17:00 PM, Blogger bev said...

is the guarana drink called 'bawls' or 'brawls' or something like that? How does the taste compare to the ones in Brazil?

 
At 9/21/2005 12:26:00 PM, Blogger Mur said...

That's the one! It tastes just like it!

 
At 9/21/2005 01:29:00 PM, Blogger bernadette said...

nice campus!! did they build that specifically for you guys? welcome "home"! ;)

 
At 9/21/2005 01:42:00 PM, Blogger Mur said...

They tore down the old Letterman Hospital and rebuilt the buildings to match the architecture of the Presidio

 
At 9/21/2005 04:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that the "haunted" building? just kidding...
Maybe you should talk to OJ's brother, Eli, he works right there too, and he comes from Pittsburg.

 
At 9/21/2005 05:15:00 PM, Blogger Mur said...

No Ghost stories here yet. But we are on land where the old hospital used to be...lots of troubled souls.

Pittsburg huh? YUCK!

 
At 9/24/2005 04:18:00 PM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Congrats on the new digs. Wall to wall windows and a couch...very nice.

 
At 9/26/2005 06:30:00 PM, Blogger It's just me said...

aww, my nephew was born in Letterman Hospital. Maybe you should do a sage cleansing to ward off the troubled souls. it's a beautiful building though.

 
At 9/28/2005 12:29:00 PM, Blogger bev said...

mur, where ya been? I've been checking your blog anxiously awaiting for updates! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home