Saturday, September 10, 2005

Red Eyes at the Riverwalk

I was exhausted by the time we got to San Antonio. I couldn't sleep on the plane at all because I was cold and they didn't have enough blankets. I was a little irritated because I saw people with their blankets just sitting on their lap, not being put to use.

I told Rich that we shouldn't call his mom to check up on Kobi. I didn't want them to feel like we didn't trust them. Well, as soon as we got the car rental, his phone rings. They took him to Pt. Isabel. And as soon as they started to walk, he put the brakes on and didn't want to go any further. They kept on trying to make him move and all he did was lie down. We think it's because of his anxiety the last time he got lost there. They finally got him in the car and Rich talked to him, while his mom put the phone to his ear. He recognized Rich's voice and started licking it right away. I think it cheered him up a bit.

When we got to the hotel around 330pm, we were pooped. We decided to take a nap before we headed out. We got up around 6 and headed out to the River Walk.



Although hot and humid, it did sprinkle a bit. We walked through the mall trying to buy batteries for the camera. A bird, or so I thought, zoomed right by me. It ended up being a bat! Yuck!

We decided to walk along the river to find a place to eat and take the boat later. Rich wanted to have some steak but there were so many places to choose from. I ran into a guide and asked for recommendations but he wasn't allowed to give me a rec. Instead, he gave me the names of the restuarants and with a series of facials, winks, and hand gestures, he was able to give me his "recommendation" anyway. We had dinner at Texa Land and Cattle. It was pretty much at the very end of the Walk and we were STARVING since we really didn't eat when we were traveling.

We had to wait for a good 30 minutes. We ordered like we hadn't eaten for days. Rich had the ribeye, which was the most delicious ribeye we've ever had. I had the smoked top sirloin and the crab legs. The crab was delicious, but after eating the ribeye, I was a little disappointed with my sirloin. On top of that we had an appetizer sampler, dessert, and drinks!





We overdid it.

When our server gave us the check, he said "Thank you Mr. & Mrs. Rios". That's the 2nd time in a week that someone said that to us. I think it has a really nice ring to it.

We opted out of taking the boat, because we wanted to walk off our feast.



On the way back, we stopped at Howl At the Moon. It reminded me of The Dueling Pianos in Florida. People basically give them song requests and they play the song.

It was a great place to chill and people watch. Then I started thinking in my head, "which one of these do not belong!" That would be me! Other than Mexicans & 2 other black women in the crowded, standing room only bar, minorities were sparse. And I, was a strange looking thing. I could feel people staring at me quite a bit.

It reminded me of a story my friend Mark told me. He was stationed out at Corpus Christi. And when he went to a bar, someone asked him if he was black (he's pilipino)!

It was an awesome night, except for the fact that we got lost on the way home! We got back around 1am and had to get our asses up at 630am the next morning! We barely even slept from the night before.

2 Comments:

At 9/13/2005 10:54:00 AM, Blogger DJ John said...

I don't order any other steak but rib eye now. It has just the right amount of "juice", fat, and flavor.

 
At 9/14/2005 10:56:00 AM, Blogger VirtualErn said...

Gorgeous picture.
Don't forget to get some good BBQ ribs while you're there. (I've only been to Luther's and it was amazing)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home