Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Baby Ethan

On September 18, my cousin Jenn and I were going to host a baby shower for my other cousin. Her husband has been living in the Bay Area for a while because he started an SAT Prep school here. She wanted to stay in LA until the baby was born since she trusted her OB from her first son.

That Friday, she flew up to the Bay Area, only to be rushed to the hospital. She started having contractions and some bleeding. After staying in the hospital for a few days, she ended up being released. But on doctor's orders, they advised her to stay in the Bay Area, especially since she was going for checkups every couple of days.

So, there was no baby shower. And she had to cancel the one in LA. Well, since she's been up here, she's been a little bored and restless. So, she decided to throw an impromptu babyshower at her Mother-in-law's this past weekend.

It was good to see her walking around. Since it was last minute, there weren't very many people there, but it gave us a chance to catch up on everything. I took off around 2 to head to practice.

Then, at 4 am, my phone starts buzzing. It's a text from her husband telling me that she delivered 6.5 weeks early. Soon after the baby shower, her water broke and again, she was rushed to the hospital.

I went to visit her last night. She's doing great! Baby Ethan was born at 4 lbs 11 oz and is 18 inches long. I was lucky to see him last night because only immediate family were allowed to the intensive care nursery. Her doctor brought me in as a favor.

He looked a lot better than I expected, but it was still so hard to see this tiny baby with a feeding tube and oxygen mask. Considering that he is a preemie, he's pretty healthy. When babies are born, they perform the Apgar Test, which measures the overall health of the baby. Ethan was an 8 out of 10, which is an incredible score.

I'm so glad that the both of them are doing well. He'll be in the hospital at least for another week or so and she'll be out in a few days.

4 Comments:

At 10/04/2005 08:48:00 PM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

Tell Jen and Randolph I said congrats on the new baby.

 
At 10/05/2005 08:24:00 AM, Blogger mrs cruz said...

I am so glad she and the baby are okay! I had no idea the shower was cancelled. Ed and I were supposed to go but I was working that weekend. Can you email me her address so I can send Baby Ethan a gift?

 
At 10/05/2005 09:44:00 AM, Blogger Mur said...

It's actually Bette & Randolf :)

 
At 10/05/2005 08:08:00 PM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

oops, that's what I meant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home