Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Raider Nation

Today was a big day for me, but even more so for Rich. I was going to my first Raider game. I've been looking forward to this day but also dreading it at the same time. In no way, would I have ever thought that I would be going to a Raider game. But then again, I never thought I would have a dog!

I didn't even know what I was going to wear. But thanks to Liza, I did have a Raider Jersey that I ended up using.

We left Pinole around 10, with his brother David, and BARTed into Oakland. We met up with some of his old friends that were tailgating. He was making breakfast burritos from 8am until 1pm. They were pretty good!

I had an awesome time just people watching. I was totally infatuated with the Raider Nation and how they go all out for their costumes. It seemed like Darth Vader is a favorite! And I was also apalled by the young girls, walking around half-naked trying to sign up guys for credit cards. But Rich's brother had a good point. She could be playing all the dumb dirty men, just getting their credit information for identity theft, and they didn't even know it!

It was a perfect day to be hanging out. I wasn't sure where our seats would be and brought a jacket with me in case I got cold. Rich and David would not stop bugging me about how nice the weather was going to be and how I wouldn't need it. Of course, they were right.

I took it off and put the jacket on a table. Rich didn't want it to get dirty and just placed it on top of our little cooler. Bad move. A friend of theirs was Q'ing right next to us. I couldn't help but notice the ribs he was making and also the big plate of oil that the drippings were falling onto. An hour later, I hear this deep voice saying "oh no, I just spilled all over someone's jacket." I look at my jacket and there is BBQ oil and crap from the drippings all over it! I was kinda dumbfounded. Crap! But of course, it wouldn't be a typical Mur day without something like that happening, now would it?

Oh well. I didn't let it ruin my day. We had some great seats, right next to the end zone but not directly behind the goal post. I had a great time at my first professional football game! Although the Raiders lost, it was good to share something with Rich that he is so passionate about.

After the game, we met up and had dinner with his other brother and his girlfriend at the Waterfront in Rodeo. It's a seafood restuarant, with the "waterfront" being a view to the lovely East Bay Refineries. And even more beautiful since it was low tide and looked like a murky swamp!

The place is a seafood restuarant. The food was just ok. But it was kind of cool to see lumpia on the menu. I'm guessing the owners are pinoy.

We headed home in time to catch the end of the Seahawk/Texan game. I'm in a Survivor Football pool, where you pick one team each week. If your team wins, you advance. If you lose, you're out. You just can't pick the same team more than once in a season. I picked Seattle and they won! There were originally 45 people in the pool. It's down to 15! I hope I win!

5 Comments:

At 10/16/2005 11:11:00 PM, Blogger neekoh said...

i'm a niner fan all the way, but raider games are definitely more fun...more yelling, more fights, more bronco fans getting beat up.

my last raider game was the Titans-Raiders playoffs in 2002. i don't have much memory of it, since i found out that the Coliseum served single barrel Jack. But they were damn good seats, 35 yard line lower section.

Glad you had fun, sorry 'bout your jacket and the game's outcome.

 
At 10/17/2005 08:58:00 AM, Blogger mrs cruz said...

I've always been interested in the Raider fanatics! I've never seen anything like it before.

 
At 10/17/2005 08:53:00 PM, Blogger Da Factor said...

I'm just glad it was Drama with the jacket and not us in the middle of a fight.....Next time...

 
At 10/18/2005 07:24:00 PM, Blogger Big Sexy said...

I hope you picked the niners at the beginning of the season, cause that's the only game they are going to win. HAH

 
At 10/18/2005 08:30:00 PM, Blogger Mur said...

I'm hoping that everyone gets eliminated before I have to pick the Niners. I actually picked Washington this week. I thought about your tip of picking the team that plays the Niners each week. Might not be a bad idea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home