KA Vs. Corteo
In a span of 2 weeks, I was fortunate enough to have seen 2 Cirque Du Soleil shows. When I was in Vegas for my meeting, our outing was KA at the MGM. And today, Rich, Cam and I saw Corteo.
I couldn't help but compare the 2 shows since I saw them close together. KA, was undeniably eye candy. Probably some of the best effects that I've ever seen a live show to have. Did I like it? Of course! Did I love it? Not really.
I think I was disappointed because it didn't deliver the typical Cirque Du Soliel show that I'm used to having. The typical formula being: comedy relief including the audience while everyone is getting seated, the focus on one character and his/her adventures, the comedy relief between acts, and most importantly the non-stop "circus" acts that make you say "no way!"
In KA, there were a couple of "no ways!" but it was mostly "that's cool that the stage can do that." Or "that's neat how they made it look like they were under water." Or, "that's cute how they can make themselves look like animals." It was only at the end of the show that I sat at the edge of my seat watching the last 2 major acts.
KA had an Asian flare to it with martial arts, the storyline, the tatooed bad guys with Fu Manchu beards. I was excited at first but soon started to lose interest. Cirque shows have a tendency to be dark and I felt that this one was almost too dark and "rock and roll" for me. Typical Vegas, I guess. Am I just getting older?
Corteo on the other hand, was a breath of fresh air to me. Although it's about a clown's funeral, it wasn't as dark as KA. And the old formula, that I love so much, was back. The only difference with this show is it didn't have the crazy fantasy-like makeup, and the characters were actually people and not make believe characters.
The set was nowhere near KA's set but to me, the entertainment value surpassed that $130M set in Vegas! It boiled down to good old human tricks vs expensive engineering. I guess you can compare it to Star Wars. Some people say that you can spend a ton of money on special effects but if you don't have a good script, then it doesn't matter. But don't get me wrong, there are tons of Star Wars fans out there and there are also a ton of people that love KA. I'm just not one of them.
I think I've seen all the shows except Saltimbanco and Zhumanity. I guess I'm becoming a Cirque snob.
I couldn't help but compare the 2 shows since I saw them close together. KA, was undeniably eye candy. Probably some of the best effects that I've ever seen a live show to have. Did I like it? Of course! Did I love it? Not really.
I think I was disappointed because it didn't deliver the typical Cirque Du Soliel show that I'm used to having. The typical formula being: comedy relief including the audience while everyone is getting seated, the focus on one character and his/her adventures, the comedy relief between acts, and most importantly the non-stop "circus" acts that make you say "no way!"
In KA, there were a couple of "no ways!" but it was mostly "that's cool that the stage can do that." Or "that's neat how they made it look like they were under water." Or, "that's cute how they can make themselves look like animals." It was only at the end of the show that I sat at the edge of my seat watching the last 2 major acts.
KA had an Asian flare to it with martial arts, the storyline, the tatooed bad guys with Fu Manchu beards. I was excited at first but soon started to lose interest. Cirque shows have a tendency to be dark and I felt that this one was almost too dark and "rock and roll" for me. Typical Vegas, I guess. Am I just getting older?
Corteo on the other hand, was a breath of fresh air to me. Although it's about a clown's funeral, it wasn't as dark as KA. And the old formula, that I love so much, was back. The only difference with this show is it didn't have the crazy fantasy-like makeup, and the characters were actually people and not make believe characters.
The set was nowhere near KA's set but to me, the entertainment value surpassed that $130M set in Vegas! It boiled down to good old human tricks vs expensive engineering. I guess you can compare it to Star Wars. Some people say that you can spend a ton of money on special effects but if you don't have a good script, then it doesn't matter. But don't get me wrong, there are tons of Star Wars fans out there and there are also a ton of people that love KA. I'm just not one of them.
I think I've seen all the shows except Saltimbanco and Zhumanity. I guess I'm becoming a Cirque snob.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home